Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Looking for art in all the wrong places...

It's a funny thing when business and pleasure merge into a throbbing mess of complication. When personal relationships are the foundation of work, how do you keep it separate? It seems like a no-win. How do you "not take it personal"? And, it seems ultimately ironic that becoming friends with someone you want to work with can make things worse. If I made a film, the first thing I'm thinking is: "How do I involve my people with pertinent skills?" It's the same for most. Which is why this concept is even more confusing, because it seems that my recent attempts to collaborate with my "friends" has back-fired. Several times. In this week alone.
Now, I understand some things are not meant to be, and it doesn't discourage me at all from wanting to make art. It's just frustrating when people around you that you REALLY like working with, get absorbed into a "troop" that wants no part of you. I guess it's life's way of reminding me the only person you can really count on is yourself. I try not to take anything personally, but it gets difficult when you seem to be the odd man out.

With that said, all of this makes me extremely thankful for the people I can be creative with. It's easy to lose sight of the big picture when you're in a shit-storm, but when the chips are down, the whack people reveal themselves, as well as the amazing ones. Even though I've felt so insulted by the actions of some, the truly great ones have shone through the b.s. and reminded me how important they are (you know who you are). And, maybe sifting through the idiots and malcontents is what makes these sacred people so important.

Thanks for reading me vent...

Love,

-R*

No comments: